SEDIC: One Community Award

SEDIC is the first Student-led Equality, Diversity and Inclusion committee at the University of Lincoln, specifically representing the School of Humanities and Heritage since 2020. On 4th May, we received an email informing us that we had been nominated for the ‘One Community’ Award, which would have been presented to an individual, group, or department who had worked to make a positive impact in bringing the University community and the wider Lincoln community together through events and campaigns. Our committee were so happy to see our actions being recognised by students and staff! We have successfully run various events and projects such as Dr Martin Stern’s (he/him) Holocaust survivor testimony, Anna Chivers’ (she/her) talk on Slyvia Rivera to platform a range of diverse voices, various social media content and our plans to implement sensory room. The latter will provide a calm and quiet environment that aids neurodiverse students in their studies. We were even more shocked to learn that we were honoured with the Vic Langer ‘winner of winners’ award, which is given to the overall winner of all winners of this year’s SU Awards. We are excited to see this work continued by Cary and Jamie next year, with some amazing concepts lined up including the sensory room!

Cary (they/them), the 22/23 secretary and 23/24 co-chair for SEDIC, shared their thoughts on receiving these awards:

‘I am so proud to have been part of SEDIC for the last two years, working alongside a dedicated, passionate, and inspiring group of people. Being part of SEDIC has given me a wonderful group of friends, a better understanding of a wider range of EDI topics, and the confidence and motivation to keep pushing back against the injustices we face. We have achieved so much, from hosting talks for Hate Crime Awareness Week and LGBTQ+ history month, to proposing and fundraising for the new sensory room, to raising awareness about a variety of EDI topic on social media. To even be nominated for the SU Awards was an incredible achievement, so to win not only our nominated category, the One Community Award, but also the overall Winner of Winners Award was such an unexpected honour. I’m looking forward to the year ahead where we can hopefully bring the sensory room to life, raise more awareness about a range of topics, and continue to promote equality, diversity, inclusivity and accessibility at our university and in our wider communities.’

Jamie (he/him), the 22/23 student rep and 23/24 co-chair for SEDIC, also shared his thoughts:

‘SEDIC is my greatest university achievement thus far. The initiative is fantastic and I am forever grateful to those who founded the committee. Their actions have allowed us to provide a greater university experience for all. I hope to follow in their footsteps and be the change that prospective students need in the future. As for myself, this experience has brought out the best in me, I couldn’t have asked for a better team to work with. From proposing my idea of a sensory room to a coordinating a successful fundraiser, I am so excited to see this in full force. Not to mention the great success of winning two Students Union awards in which we were celebrated for our hard work. I am now committed to paving the way for an accessible, and inclusive environment, for everybody to thrive in’